Thursday, April 14, 2011

I HATE SPIT-UP (but I love my daughter!)

I HATE SPIT-UP
(but I love my daughter!)

by Shelley Clem

I played games with you
I held you in the air
It was a mistake:
Spit-up’s in my hair

Then I try to look
For just any dry spot
To wipe up the wet
With this cloth—but there’s not

So I put you down
In your fun Jumperoo;
When I turned around,
You spit-up there, too

(And you can’t conceive
How hard it must be
To scrub out it’s every
Darn nook and cranny)

I searched for a rag
They’re all in the wash
I guess I’ll use one
Of your diapers, by gosh

I’m at my wit’s end,
Will this ever stop?
What’s that crusted mess
On my foot? Spit-up glop.

Your Daddy comes home
For his break from work
He holds you and watches
Spit-up go berserk

We want to go out,
I’m dressed really cute
And then you spit up
All over my boot

I tell you I’m done
With this mess; I am through!
But give me one smile,
Oh my girl, I love you!

No matter the spit-up
If it rains and pours,
When cleaning your mess
Has me down on all fours,

When Daddy's work shirts
Are all dirtied by you
And none of my clothing
Is left without goo

When I change five times
Just to head out the door
When I have to give up
On mopping the floor

When you have nothing
That's not in the wash,
Burpcloths, bibs, or socks
or that outfit so posh

All it takes to know
You’re worth doing this for
Is hugs, kisses, smiles
Just for me. Nothing more.

3 comments:

  1. Mom = walking burp cloth now and a walking Kleenex later :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Babe, that's amazing! You have a way with words that is well...ummm... not like me! Wow!
    -Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's really funny, Shelley! well done.

    ReplyDelete