Friday, January 14, 2011

Vegan Tuscan Soup

Just after I'd come home from the hospital with our daughter, we had many friends bless us with delicious meals. One in particular stood out, and it was Spicy Tuscan Soup. The recipe had come from the Pioneer Woman (thepioneerwoman.com). This friend, knowing I didn't eat red meat, substituted the sausage and bacon for non-spicy turkey varieties. It was SO good!


But this week, my family and I are participating in a fast based in the book of Daniel, which includes "no choice foods". For some of us, that means no meat, no sweets and no caffeine. For others, it means basically a vegan, no sugar, no leavening diet and nothing to drink but water or green tea. So I decided to try to adapt this recipe even further to attempt to make it vegan. It worked! I liked the new version, but thought that I could even leave out the Boca Burgers and still have a hearty soup. We all thought it was delicious either way, so I thought I should share my adaptation:

Vegan Tuscan Soup

  • 3 vegan Boca Burgers, Defrosted and Chopped (optional)
  • 1 whole Medium Red Onion, Diced
  • 3-4 tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 3 whole Medium Potatoes
  • 1 quart Vegetarian Vegetable broth
  • 1/4 cup Vegan Butter (I used Smart Balance)
  • 4-6 cups Fresh Baby Spinach, lightly shredded
  • ½ cup unsweetened Almond Milk
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste


Chop onion; add onion and olive oil to a large soup pot. Heat over medium heat and cook until onions are clear. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ slices. Add vegetable broth, vegan butter and potatoes to the soup pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are almost done.
Defrost and chop vegan burgers, if using.
Lightly shred and add fresh spinach. Also add almond milk, salt, pepper and (optional) vegan burgers, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Let cool and serve with homemade tortilla chips.


Yummy Soup Leftovers!
Through this recipe (and from some of my Dad's culinary expertise), I learned that a "clove" of garlic is one of the buds from the whole, onion-like thing you get at the store. So the onion-like thing has SEVERAL cloves in it, and isn't a clove by itself. (There's probably a more technical term for that onion-like thing, but I don't know what it is.) Also, if you place the flat part of your cleaver on top of your clove of garlic, then hit it sharply with the heel of your other hand, the skin pretty much falls right off the clove. No peeling! It made for a much quicker mincing.
If you try this recipe, let me know! I hope you enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. I also found out that this is a make-at-home version of Olive Garden's Zoppa Toscana. And now it's vegan.

    ReplyDelete